What should I do if I am involved in an accident?

By law, as the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident you must immediately stop and give assistance to any injured person. In Victoria, you are only required to report an accident if any person is injured or property is damaged, and the owner of the property is not present.

You must give your full name, address and registration number to other drivers, injured persons or owners of property, which may have been damaged in the accident. If you don’t own the vehicle, also give the name and address of the owner.

You must obtain the name, address and registration number of other vehicle/s and or owner/s. You should also try to obtain the names and addresses of any independent witnesses. To ensure you have the correct details, you should write them down yourself. If possible, write them down from their driver’s licence and get their telephone number. The law does not require that they give you their licence or telephone number.

Make a note of the time, date and location of the accident and draw a plan of the scene.

Inform your insurance company as soon as possible. Most companies now have an after hours contact number.

Do I have the right to choose the repairer?

Every insurance company has their own requirements and generally they do allow you to select the repairer. S & J Smash Repairs are authorised repairers for most insurance companies.

If you have any queries, contact our Accident / Claims Advisor on (03)-9357-9944 or after hours on 9357 9911.

How should I choose a shop to repair my vehicle?

Properly repairing today’s vehicles is a complex task. It requires precision measuring and pulling damaged components to tolerances measured in millimetres. It also involves restoring paint work with factory like finishes in a climate controlled, dust free environment. And of course, accomplishing this demands highly trained professional technicians who are experts in their craft.

At S & J Smash Repairs, we have the staff and equipment to meet all these requirements so you can be sure your vehicle is repaired to the standard required.

Do I need to contact several shops for estimates / quotes?

Generally, no. Most insurance companies now require one quote only. Once your claim is lodged with your insurer, all you need do is call in and lets us see the damage. We’ll then tell you how long the repairs will take and book you in for a date that is convenient for you.

Again, if you have any queries, contact our Accident/Claims Advisor on 9357 9944 or after hours on 9357 9911.

Must I notify the insurance company before repairs are made?

Yes - Most insurance policies require that you notify your broker or the company, lodge a claim or report, and tell them where the damaged vehicle may be inspected. Even if the other party agrees to pay your damages, it may pay to make a “report only” to your own insurance company.
Who is responsible for the cost of repairs?

It pays to check with your insurance company. In most cases they pay the repairer but you are responsible for paying any excess. Unless previously arranged, this has to be paid to the repairer before you take delivery of your vehicle.

Who is responsible for the repairs made to my vehicle?

The Repairer - That is why it is important to select a reliable repairer. The right facility will be properly equipped and staffed to restore your vehicle to pre-accident condition. At S & J Smash Repairs we give a lifetime guarantee whilst the vehicle remains in your possession.

Who should I contact if there is a problem with the repair?

First, the manager of the shop. - Responsible shop owners and managers stand behind their services and provide warranties which cover their work. They will work with you to solve the problem. If your problem is not resolved contact the claims manager at your insurance company.

Copyright 2005 - S&J Smash Repairs Pty Ltd - All Rights Reserved. Powered by Fusoniq Solutions